Monday, February 23, 2009

Lots of Running News, and the Wall of Fame!

Lots of running, not so much writing- I know, I know. Well, here's some of the latest:

I did, in fact, run 2 half-marathons in two weeks. The second one, in the Bronx, earned me a new PR of 1:55:06- yay! It feels good to be working hard and seeing it pay off (a little, anyway). Then, back to one hard week of running, which ended with my very own Valentine's run of 18 miles. It was sunny and I woke up early, knowing I had to finish, shower and get to rehearsal afterwards. My teammates were starting later and heading on a flat run to Coney Island and the boardwalk, but I knew I had to map a big loop to get me home in time. So, I started...
18 plus miles, 4 bridges, 3 boroughs, 2 great country crooners (Dwight Yoakam and Lyle Lovett) and countless smiles and waves later, I was home again, in the shower and out to rehearsal. Click here to see my route:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=40.640009,-73.78006&spn=0.461636,0.878906&z=10&msid=116797349652229055058.0004639902854f9bc1349

There was something so serene about running this route on Valentine's Day. It was like my own little Valentine to the city that I love so much. The views from the bridges, the water-front path, Central Park, the neighborhoods I passed and the life that was happening in each of them, and the older woman who, at nearly the start of the run, in Polish Greenpoint, yeller "Run a mile for me!" (taking me back to my pre-running days in Poland where we encountered a marathon that ended near a brewery and a reluctant old woman who saw us cheering on runners and later joined us with English that she had to think about for awhile before saying it aloud. The result: "Ok-ay, ba-by!") With the stress of living and working here in the day-to-day, it's easy to lose sight of all this city has to offer and all it has given me. And, on that Saturday morning, it gave me even more- NYC did, in fact, decide to be my Valentine as well. All in all, it was a long damn run- my longest to date. And while I was a little reluctant to be out there on my own, it gave me exactly what I needed- one of the best damn runs I have ever had.

After another, slightly easier week of running, I found myself in what I now consider my "Home"
park- Prospect for a Saturday morning race. It was chilly and a bit windy, but I ran it fast enough to move up a corral group (meaning that I start closer to the front of the pack and don't waste energy early in the race trying to get around slower runners). So, now I hang with the people whose min/mile times start with a "7." YAY!!! This is was a goal that I set back in December and I was really proud to see that goal realized.

After the race, I fought BQE traffic back home and showered in time to turn around and get out the door to dance class. It felt especially freeing and joyous to be able to dance after that race for some reason. Perhaps it's the news of starting some ballroom classes in addition to technical classes. Or that a friend and fellow dancer is creating a solo for me, to premiere in May. Or that everything that makes me feel happy- running, dancing, yoga, Physique class- is physical and perhaps taking the place of what's lacking elsewhere. That's something that I have to figure out, probably while running (lol).

I am now 60 days out from the Nashville marathon. And you can still help!! You probably got here through my fundraising page, so go back and click to donate!! Every little bit helps, so please, please give what you can and help me get to Nashville! Thanks again!

xoxo


Wall of Fame!!
A huge shout out to my Nashville Donors to Date!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! You all really do Rock..or two-step...it IS a Country Music Marathon, after all! Get your name on the wall today!

Bob Early- and his friends from BP!!!
Forever Man
Michael Bell
Ciaran D'Arcy
Marty Ambos
Jennifer King
Mary Anthony
Kara and Patrick Curtis
Kate Nelson
John Londono
Shaun Smith
marc wolfe
Jimmy Ho
Karl France
Meaghan Atkinson
Demian Ordway
Peter Guy
Jeff Klein
James Comtois
Christopher Woodrell
Sherri Protze
Andrea Pastorella
Stutard Beerlicker
Tami Wallenstein
Judes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home