Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Serious Ambition

You know that you are insane when you choose races based on the baseball schedule....but that is EXACTLY what I did yesterday! The Chicago Distance Classic is a half-marathon that happens on August 10th. This is great timing beause it is about 2 months before San Francisco, but even better because the Boston Red Sox will be in town to play my White Sox!! So, I am taking a day and going to Friday night's game (and fireworks display), which will give me a chance to cheer on my team AND recover for a day before the race, which is super early on Sunday morning.

This morning, I couldn't get out of bed. The plan had been to run before work. HOwever, the plan didn't happen. Maybe it's because I ran to and from yoga yesterday morning, on my "off" day; maybe it's because I have a puppy who is a lovable and squishy energy zapper; maybe it's because i am absolutely DREADING having to rehearse tonight and could think of nothing better than staying buried under the covers all day. However ,while I was lying in bed berating myself for being such a slacker, and noting that I would have to now run either directly before or after rehearsal (enjoy those six miles, sucker), I started thinking about goals. That, and Blaine made me promise not to commit to 47 races that make my schedule such that we can't take a vacation this summer...

Here are my thoughts:
I have the Brooklyn Half in 3 1/2 weeks- which will be a day that begins with running a half-marathon, followed by dance class and rehearsal and a Kentucky Derby party.....FULL DAY. This one I am not hoping to take off too much time (maybe a minute or 2)- I would be happy to run a 1:55.

Then, I am waiting to see if I get into the NYC Half on July 26th- this gives me a lot of time to train. If not, there is Chicago on August 10. This one is a big one- I want to break 1:45 for this, which I hope will put me on pace for the full marathon two months later.

And here is the big goal: the one I will need encouragement and pushing to achieve.....
I want to run San Francisco in under 3:40, which will mean that I qualify for Boston the following spring. There it is: I've said it......I am running to qualify for Boston.
Shit.

Do I need a running coach? OR do I simply need my head examined? Why am I so competitive?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home