Friday, April 11, 2008

When the Running Gets Tough.....

Well, I did it. I actually ran my first half-marathon last weekend. After training and having that training sometimes undermined by the arrival of my own little bundle of puppy-butt joy, Sunday was race day.
It was chilly; it was spitting at times; it was hard (damn that hill on the north side of west drive!!); and it was awesome. But more than the actual running itself, I was so touched by the people out that morning yelling their support, not just for their own loved ones, but for every woman running that race. And, there was my team- Agata and Jo screaming and waving on BOTH laps of that race. It made such a difference to me. I finished in 1:56:56- meeting my goal of finishing in under 2 hours (not bad for a first-timer), and I am not certain exactly what or how, but to steal a phrase from the back of several someones' shirts, the woman who finished the race is not the same as the woman who started it. My outlook on life has shifted, just the slightest bit. Sure, there is a confidence that results from testing oneself and finding that one is up for that test. But, ultimately, I feel calmer- in running, like life, there ae good days and bad days, and good moments that can go terribly wrong in the blink of an eye. After that race, I am a little more accepting of that fact, a little more flexible (don't try and tell my hamstrings that, though) to the twists and turns on the course ,and still, a little more determined than before.

Furthermore, I am so encouraged by the support that I have found from all my family and friends and so incredibly touched by knowing that, in some way, this new sport has moved others to take action. If my running means that those women I met last night post-run get on that bike they bought or do a lap around the track, if it means that Jo's mom goes for that walk around the lake, if it means that I can run for a cause that I believe in and support those who can't get started themselves, then I am so, so humbled to know that it does make a difference that I can't possibly stop. And yes, I know that for a lot of you, my running most immediately means that you get to plan a trip to San Francisco and well, that's a hell of a bonus too!

I will continue to run for my life...and the lives of others, whatever form of help that effort might offer.

Next up: Brooklyn half on May 3rd. I am already back to running, greatly helped by the cooperative spring weather.

The one for Charity: The Nike NYC Half- July 27th- stay tuned for details on how to help, coming soon.

The Big One: Mama's first Full Marathon- Nike Women's Marathon, San Francisco, CA- October 19.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home